The Faculty of Theology and Religious Studies at the University of Groningen offers a three-year scholarship to complete a PhD in Theology and Religious Studies.
The Faculty of Theology and Religious Studies at the University of Groningen is an ambitious faculty with a dynamic and accomplished staff drawn from around the world (58% international), and a Graduate School with 60 PhD students.
The Faculty offers a three-year scholarship to complete a PhD in Theology and Religious Studies. Applications are invited from high-quality prospective PhD students with a good fit with the research specialisms of the department ‘Jewish, Christian, and Islamic Origins’. Here academic staff are engaged in the study of Hebrew Bible and early Judaism, New Testament and early Christianity, Qur’an and early Islam, and their dynamic interrelationship in the context of the Ancient Mediterranean, as well as the reception history of the Bible.
The PhD student is expected:
- to have a Master’s degree (preferably a two years Research Master or equivalent) in Theology or in Religious Studies or another relevant discipline;
- to have a thorough training in research skills;
- to be fluent in English (both oral and written);
- to be able and willing to work in an interdisciplinary environment;
- have the abilities to finish the PhD thesis in three years, like planning, taking initiative, academic writing, desire to publish.
The successful candidate will receive a gross scholarship of €2,099 per month, of which wage tax and social insurance premiums will be deducted. They will be required to be resident in Groningen and will initially be offered a scholarship of one year; prolongation of the scholarship for a further two years is contingent on sufficient progress in the first year.
Venue: University of Groningen, Netherlands, Groningen, Broerstraat 5
Disciplines: Islamic Studies, Religious Studies
Application Deadline: April 01, 2018
Function types: PhD positions
Scientific fields: Language and Culture
Hours: 38.0 hours per week
Salary: maximum € 2099
Education: University Graduate
Job number: B090217