The Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies at the University of Edinburgh is delighted to invite applications for two fees only PhD scholarships in any area within its expertise.
The scholarship will be funded by IMES and will cover tuition fees at the Home/EU rate (currently £4,195 p.a. for 2017-2018).
Applications for both the Scholarship and the PhD must be made by 28th February 2018.
Applications for the PhD can be made via the online admissions portal at the url address given below.
Informal enquiries are welcome and should be directed to Professor Andrew Newman:
The award will cover:
- The UK/EU rate of tuition fee
- A successful non-EU/overseas applicant will be liable for the difference between the UK/EU and overseas tuition fee rate each year.
- Subject to satisfactory progress, the scholarship will be awarded for a maximum of three years.
The award is open to UK, EU and overseas students commencing a PhD degree in the academic year 2018-2019.
Only applications to year one of a PhD programme of study will be considered.
Among the areas of supervision we cover are:
- Shiism, Safavids, pre-modern Islamic and Iranian history, history of Islamic science.
- Qur’an, Qur’anic exegesis, Hadith, the Life of Muhammad, early Islam (7th – 9th Centuries).
- Middle Eastern Cinemas; cinematic representations of gender and religious themes; Persian literature
- Modern history of the Middle East and especially Egypt; Cosmopolitan societies: Greeks of the Middle East
- Gender and sexuality in the MENA region, contemporary Arab media
The deadline for the application is 28th February 2018.